Monday 27 February 2012

letters home 2

Next in a selection of letters written by Zelda to her parents from Somerset, where she was evacuated at the beginning of the second world war.

Dearest, darling mummy,
How's the weather in london? Down here it's as bad as in finland! We are absolutely frozen up in the house. No cold water, no hot water, no water in the lavatory. The other day we had a slight thaw, and all the water came through the ceiling. Now it's frozen again, and we are expecting a burst. For water to wash ourselves in we have to collect snow and melt it. But still we keep smiling. Though Mrs.Lapham threatened to leave Mr. Lapham this morning and go home to her mother.
Still, I don't mind. I'm having some fun. Up at school, in game lessons, we go out and have snow fights and last Wednesday the whole senior school went down to Orchardleigh pond which is completely frozen. The mistress in charge had skates but we hadn't so we just had to slide. It was glorious fun, so we went out there again today.
On Wednesday Mrs. Lapham wanted to go to the pictures with someone but Mr. Lapham didn't want to go, so she took me. We saw Dark Victory. Isn't Bette Davies a marvellous actress? Do you know, in the evening now, it gets dark at about 6 o' clock and then at about 9 o'clock it becomes light as day. Mrs. Lapham was astonished, but she said that was why we were having the frost, or some such rot.
Thursday was a very exciting day for me. When I got to school, Mr. Barnard asked me to go and speak to him at dinner time. I went and what do you think he said? You see I often talk about Psychology and health etc. So Mr. Barnard thinks I am terribly brainy and told Mr. Humphrey tthat I was. Mr. Humphrey said he agreed with Mr. Barnard and they decided to ask me to join the "Workers' Education Association", to which they belong. They have a different speaker each week, who speaks on education, politics, religion etc. and they have debates on them. I wanted to join ever so much, but I told them I wasn't allowed to go out during the week, and nor could I afford the 6d a week. Mr. Barnard said he would let me off the 6d and said that he would meet me at the bottom of Nunney Road to take me, and would take me homw too, if I would come. So I said I'd go that day but didn't know whether I'd go again.
went that night and he met me at 6.45pm at the bottom of Nunney Road. We had a lecture on Intelligence, and what makes some people imbeciles and others geniuses. Everyone there made a fuss of me, and every tiime I argued a point they all listened respectfully, as though I was a prime minister or suchlike. They were ever so nice, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. They asked me to go next week, for it's a lecture on psychology and they seem to think I'm an expert on that subject. Why, I don't know. Mr. Barnard took me home at 9.30pm and told me I was let off my homework for that night if I wished. But I did it all the same. I asked Mrs. Lapham if I could go again next week, and she said she didn't mind in the least. What do you say?
That was not all that happened on Thursday. When I got home from school, I found a letter waiting for me. I'd like you to see it. It's very mysterious!
[Zelda received an anonymous postcard signed "an admirer"]
It's so funny! All the girls and boys up at school are teasing me like anything. They say that I've charmed the whole of Frome, and they tease me terribly about Mr. Barnard. They keep teasing him too, saying that I've captured his heart, and such daft things as that. But he doesn't mind because he is used to their teasing ways.
Mrs. Lapham laughed like anything when she read that postcard I have enclosed. She says she is going to hire a detective to see who it is that sent it. I asked nearly everyone I know, and still can't find out who sent it. I thought at first that it was a joke, but some of the boys say that they know who sent it, but they won't tell me. Anyway, it's been rather useful, because every time I asked anybody if they know who sent it, they'd say "Ooh, ask so and so, he likes you". So, I've found out everybody that likes me. Isn't it just too silly for words.
Darling mummy, I'm so sorry for you in that dreadful shop. But perhaps if you close this shop, it will all turn out for the best. You may be luckier somewhere else, or perhaps not in millinery at all. Still, don't worry.
I miss you too mummy. However happy I may be, I still wish you were with me, which would make me perfectly happy.
I am going to write to Daddy on Sunday, so don't let him think I'm neglecting him, will you?
Give my love to all the family and with love from everyone here, I end
Your adoring daughter for ever
Zelda

No comments:

Post a Comment